Thanks a Million, Upper Valley!

In 2015, a few whip-smart Co-op employees had an inspired idea: give shoppers the option to round up their orders to the next full dollar amount at checkout. The Co-op would then donate the extra change to our area community partners. We launched the program the following summer, calling it Pennies for Change.

This year, Pennies for Change hit a huge milestone—$1 million dollars donated directly to Upper Valley non-profits since June 2016. (That's a hundred million pennies, people!) It's the largest donation in Co-op history, and we owe it all to our members, shoppers, and employees. So well done, you!

How to Make a Donation

Help us reach another million. Round up your change in stores, add to your online order, or consider donating directly to our three main food access partners.

Listen Center

“Listen

Upper Valley Haven

“haven”

Willing Hands

“Willing


Your Donations Put to Work

Here are some ways your donations have helped the community:

Willing Hands:
1 new truck + 1,000 miles traveled weekly providing food for those in need.

Mascoma Cooperative Preschool:
Provided STEM activities for children.

Hanover Conservancy:
Helped with care for Mink Brook Nature Preserve and other local trails.

Hartford Community Coalition:
Provided 370 meals to Hartford homes.

Listen Community Services:
100+ Meals for community dinners, stocked food pantry, help with heating bills.

Good Neighbor Health Clinic:
Provided tele-health capabilities.

Grafton County Mental Health Court:
Provided funds for unexpected car repairs and rental assistance.

Hanover Street Friday Food Program:
30+ food bags each Friday for families.

Windsor County Mentors:
Provided one-on-one mentoring for youth.

Maynard House:
27,000 guests received affordable healthcare accommodations.

Friends of Mascoma:
Stocked Friends Feeding Friends food pantries.

Walk to End Alzheimer’s:
Funds for Alzheimer’s care, support, and research.

West Central Behavioral Health:
Served 2,000 children, families, and individuals.

Headrest:
430,000 hours of service on 24/7 help support hotline.

Thank Yous

Here are some thank you notes from community partners we have helped so far:


About the Program

The Pennies for Change program is one of the Co-op’s many giving programs. Customers can donate their change to our community partners by rounding at the registers to the next full dollar amount

For the first half of 2021, the Co-op is making a small change to the structure of the Pennies for Change program. While we will continue to support our three food access partners (receiving 60% of the total), the remaining 40% will be awarded to two organizations. This reflects the number of applications received so that every applicant is receiving the maximum amount of funding available.

We hope you continue to support the program and our community partners that work so hard to make the Upper Valley an amazing place to live and work! Thank you!



January Totals

Community Partners

Headrest: $2,173.12
A non-profit organization with a mission to assist those affected by substance use disorder, experiencing a crisis, or in need of support by providing effective programs and treatments.

Upper Valley Land Trust: $2,173.12
A non-profit organization helping landowners and communities in its region protect lands that have important natural resource values and help define the rural character of the Upper Valley.


Food Access Partners

Listen: $2,173.13
LISTEN provides services and support to meet the critical needs of Upper Valley individuals and families.

Haven: $2,173.13
The Upper Valley Haven is a non-profit, private organization that serves people struggling with poverty by providing food, shelter, education, service coordination, and other support.

Willing Hands: $2,173.13
Willing Hands serves people in need of all ages throughout our Upper Valley region. We supply produce to food shelves, free community meals, daycare & rehabilitation programs, and to families & seniors in subsidized housing. We serve everyone free of charge.


Cumulative Totals

Total Member Donations Since June 2016: $997,043.00

Total Collected January 2021: $10,865.63

Total Collected YTD 2021: $10,865.63



Policy on Cooperative Giving

The Co-op’s Board of Directors has established the following policy on cooperative giving and are organized under the following four themes:

  • Food assistance to alleviate hunger
  • Community building (including support of regional agriculture)
  • Promotion of cooperative principles and activities
  • Environment, energy and sustainability

All applicants must be a 501(c) 3 organization. If you have any questions, please call 802-765-2841 or send an email erogers [at] coopfoodstore.com (Emily Rogers).


Fund Distribution

Of the funds collected each month, 60 percent goes to our food access partners: LISTEN Community Services, Upper Valley Haven, and Willing Hands. The remaining 40 percent is split between two other community partners.

These two partners change on a monthly basis. These community partners will be assigned as 20 percent partners based on alignment with the four themes above.

How to Become a Community Partner

Applications are accepting on a rotating basis but are reviewed twice annually (December and July). Awards are made for the following 6 month period.


Apply Here




Hanover Store
45 South Park St.
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-2667
8 am-8 pm

Lebanon Store
12 Centerra Pkwy
Lebanon, NH 03766
(603) 643-4889
8 am-9 pm

WRJ Store
209 Maple St.
WRJ, VT 05001
(802) 295-3400
8 am-8 pm

Co-op Market
43 Lyme Road
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-2725
M-F: 6 am-8 pm
Sat-Sun: 7am-6pm

Service Center
–Hanover

51 South Park St.
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-6650
M-F:8am-4:30pm

Service Center
–Norwich

63 US 5 South
Norwich, VT 05055
(802) 526-9103
M-F: 7:30 am-4:30 pm

Co-op Kitchen
193 A St.
Wilder, VT 05088
(603) 442-4406
M-F: 6 am-2 pm